Honey Bunch

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

William and Ethel Burger

Thank you for the congrats and best wishes to my son and new daughter- in- law! 

Today I want to first show you Page 2 of the Little Darlings Tutorial.  No Tutorial here just the adjoining page.  And then  I will post the next set of pages for the heritage book.
I had each of the children write a letter to their mom to include on the pages.  I used a sketch from the Att boys and girls 5 ways challenge over on scrapbook .com  However with that said...there were two sketches to choose from and I think I sort of intermingled the two to get this one! 
 Her letter reads:


Mom,

I just wanted to say Thank You! Thank you for always being there when I needed you and for letting me try on my own when I needed to. You always picked me up when I fell, kissed me and made me try again and were patient enough to wait for me to be ready to go again. Thank you for teaching me right from wrong (even having Dad help out with that when needed. I know now how hard that was since I have been there myself). Thank you for showing me the power of God and the church in my life. Thank you for caring for our home and family. No one ever saw you do anything but everything was always done and I never heard you complain. Thank you for giving us every opportunity to succeed and the certainty that you would be there if we failed or would be cheering if we were successful.
Thank you for showing my children the love of a Grandmother. Thank you for teaching me how to be a mom, not just the loving part but the basics (how to bathe them, feed them, and see if there tears were real or not). Thank you for showing them a taste of the outside world, for giving them the desire to explore. Thank you for sharing our trips to Florida, for sharing the joy and the angst of watching Sean play. You kept me from having heart failure except when I had to keep you from beating someone up for talking
bad about our team!
Thank you for the hugs, the unconditional love, for giving so much of yourself. Thank you for yanking me back into line when I needed it. Thank you for being my Mom!
I love you so very much. I have so many memories of love filled holidays and meals, of you being there for our games and concerts, our good grades and bad, for standing up for us when others attacked and made us stand up for what is right, for sharing our joys and our sorrows.
You have done so much for me, been so much to
me, I can never say thank you enough. Just know that I appreciate everything you have done and given up for all of us.

I Love You
ALWAYS,

Ramona (your favorite child!)


Here are the next 3 pages these are my mother in law's grandparents on the paternal side. 


This photo is one of them taken in the 1950's amidst Grandma's gladiola and flower garden!  Look at those flowers!  They were the talk of the town back then!

I used Webster's Pages Paper and embellishments, the journal block came from a stamp set from Close to My Heart as did the little crocheted flower, and added a pearl flourish, and  a few small pearls. The border punch is from EK Success. 
The top photo is a picture of them taken in 1917, the middle photo is one of the last photos of Grandma Burger, and the bottom photo is the only photo I could find with the entire family together.
Again I used Webster Pages, an embossing folder from Tim Holtz, a Cricut die cut from the Art Philosophy Cartridge, and some lace that I received in a swap that was hosted by Martica at scrapbook.com


This final photo shows a picture of Grandma Burger when she was younger riding horses at a ranch just outside of Buena Vista, Colorado.  The middle picture is a picture of the home they owned and then eventually my mother-in-law's parents bought from them, and the bottom picture is a 4 Generation picture of my mother-in-law's Great Grandma Tower, Grandma Burger, Her dad, and her as a baby.

This is the journaling for the last page

William and Ethel Burger grew up in Nebraska. William had the nickname of “Dink”.  We are unsure as to the date of their marriage but we know that they were married in Hall County, Nebraska.

In their first years of marriage William worked for the local fire department as a fire man and their driver. He got to drive the horse pulled fire wagon that was pulled by a beautiful team of white horses.  When the fire department bought a fire truck he was very proud that he got to drive that as well.  Once the depression hit work became scarce and they were forced to travel around looking for work. William became a “jack of all trades” trying to support his family.  They traveled throughout Kansas, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming. Of course during this time Ethel did not work outside the home and joined him along with their children in the travels.  He finally gained employment with the Union Pacific Railroad in Wyoming.  In 1934 William went to work for the Climax Mine in Climax, Colorado, where he stayed until his retirement.  While living in Climax Ethel became employed at the restaurant there.  They eventually moved to Buena Vista, Colorado and bought the family home on 502 S.  Gunnison Ave.

While living in Buena Vista Ethel continued to work as a cook working for The Buena Vista Hotel, Tising’s Restaurant located on Hwy. 24 and The Green Parrot Restaurant & Bar on Main St.  Ethel enjoyed gardening and especially loved her gladiolas….which were always the talk of the town when they were in bloom.  Upon her death William called his son Albert who was living in Leadville and told him that if he wanted to buy the property in Buena Vista he had better do it now or he was selling it.  Albert did buy the property, raised his family in that little log cabin home, and lived there until he passed away in 1990.

I hope you enjoyed this little walk through my husband's heritage.  I am hoping that the family will enjoy coming and seeing it here!  There's still more to follow!

Hugs!

Becky

2 comments:

Toqua's Crafts said...

What an amazing letter Ramona wrote to her mother!! What mother would not want one just like that? And if it were tucked inside a Mother's Day card... no gift would be necessary.

Again, you do such beautiful scrapbooking!

Thank you for sharing your work with us all.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Becky, all of these pages are so amazing!! I love all of your special touches and especially your journaling! That letter written by Ramona to her mom is do very touching and just wonderful!!