Honey Bunch

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Little Darlings Mojo Monday Sketch Tutorial

Hi my friends!  It does feel so good to be back to blogging. It  feels like I am maybe contributing something to this world.  :) 

As I told you I would share the layout that I created using Flying Unicorn's Mojo Monday sketch with a tutorial to go along with it. So without further adieu....let's get started. 

First let me give you your supply list.  Now Remember you don't have to have the exact supplies on hand...your layout may be a total different theme than mine. 

I am using the beautiful...and sadly discontinued...Graphic 45 Little Darling Paper Collection.

Let's start with the paper.  These are all 12x12 sheets.

You will need:
1 sheet Peachy Pink Colored Card stock (or the color that goes with your papers.
1 sheet French Vanilla Bazzill Card stock (or other similar off white or white)
2 Sheets Graphic 45 Little Darlings Little Treasures or 2 sheets of a double sided paper
2 Sheets Graphic 45 Peek-a-Boo paper or 2 sheets of a second patterned double sided paper
1 Sheet Graphic 45 Heaven Sent Paper or 1 sheet of a third patterned double sided paper
1 Sheet of Graphic 45 Baby Borders Paper or a 1/2" strip of a patterned paper, ribbon, or card stock.

Inks:
Tim Holtz Antique Linen
*Close to My Heart White Daisy Ink
*Close to My Heart Blush Pink
*Tim Holtz Ink Applicator Tool

Border Punch:  I used the EK Success Medallion Border Punch...but any border punch or an decorative edge stencil will work too!

*I had to create the color for my card stock as I did not have the right color on hand, plus I want the mottled texture...so if you aren't going to be altering your card stock you will only need the Antique Linen.

Circle Template: 7" and 6 3/4" or use your Cricut.

Let's get started we will get to all the embellishments later.

Let me show you the sketch from the Flying Unicorn again and my Layout. This sketch was created by the ever talented Alda Stevens.




Have you got all of your basic supplies out...you know scissors, paper cutter, glue dots, adhesive, edge distresser?

STEP 1-Creating the Inked Background Card stock

My first step was to ink the peach card stock because it just was too peach and didn't have enough pink hue to it.  So taking the 3 stamp pads, your Tim Holtz Applicator Tool start with the Blush Pink Ink.  Starting on the outside edge of your page bring your ink in ....(Make sure you have a piece of paper or a non stick crafting mat under your work for this step.)

This isn't a very good picture.  Sorry folks. 
 


I always like to go all the way around the outside edge of my page and then move inward rotating the page around as I go until I get into the center.  But there is no right or wrong way...up and down, side to side, or around the page.  Just ink it. I use a place and swirl motion as I go along the page.  Remember  this is not meant to be perfect...just to be fun!

Then take the White Daisy Ink and Repeat.
Finish the inking with the Antique Linen. 

You can continue to layer as much or as little as you want with these inks until you get the tone you want.
This photo shows you where I started from and where I ended up.




This photo shows you the card stock I started with, the after photo with the Graphic 45 Peek-a-boo paper that I was trying to match.  I know that these photos aren't the best.  But hopefully you can see that the page I inked has a more pink blush feel rather than the orange tone it had.
 
Step 2 - Cutting your papers

Cut a 7" Circle from the Card stock you have just created.  Cut this close to a corner as you can get that way you will still have paper left for other things.
Cut a 6 3/4" Circle from the Peek-a-Boo paper (the faces and gingham).
Distress the edges using and edge distressing tool.  If you don't have an edge distressing tool this can also be accomplished with using the blade side of  your scissor, by rubbing the edge of the paper. 
The distressing should create a sort of fuzzy edge.  If you have distressed it a lot and get little tears...good for you!  Just a little bit more shabby.

Cut a 2 1/2" Strip from Heaven's Treasures (the butterflies) so that the butterflies are right side up and running horizontally.  Lightly distress the edges.

Cut 2 1/4" strips for banners:  One from Heaven's Sent - make sure your stripes are going vertically
and one from Little Treasures.  Cut the Little Treasures to a 7" Length, and the Heaven's Sent to a 6" length.

Making the banner.  Take one end, lightly folding in center, making sure outside edges are even.

 Cut at an angle.
Sorry for the camera blur I was trying to hold with my right hand and take the photo with my left!



 
 
Slightly distress the edges so the white shows.
 
Next Cut a border strip from the border strip paper.  I used the top strip just under the Graphic 45 Informational Strip.  or you can cut a 1/2"x12 inch piece from your paper.  A 1/2" ribbon could also be used here.
 

 Step 4: Punch

Punch a 12" length using the French Vanilla Card stock.  Place this in your paper cutter and cut in half lengthwise.


Step 5: Placement
I placed my center strip at the 8" mark.  So to determine banner placement I laid my center strip and circles on my layout.




Tuck the banners under your center strip bringing them almost to the top of your center strip.


 
Now remove your top layers and adhere banners..out adhesive only on the top leaving the rest of the banners free.   Tip:  You could make a light pencil mark as to where your banner outer corners and top were so you can get them back in place when you pick them up.
 
 
Attach the 2 1/2" Center Strip over the page.  At this point if you like to sew on your page do it now. 
Tip:  If you haven't ever sewn on your pages with a sewing machine and would like to try....when sewing on paper adjust your stitch length a little longer.  My machine's setting is 2.5 mm standard and I adjust it to a 3.5mm.
 
Adhere your punched scallop border strips butting them up tightly to the center border strip.  The bottom is a little tricky as you have to lift  the banners to get them into place.
 
Adhere your circles together....leave your adhesive in aways from the outside edge so if you want to tuck little embellishments later on you can.  Attach to your background.  Note:  The circle is not exactly centered.
Cut the little border strip at approximately 4 1/2 inches and 1 1/2 inches.  Measure from your circle to your outside page to be sure you have enough length. ( I cut mine in these pieces so I still have a second 6" piece to use on an adjoining page.)  Adhere and tuck the one end under the circle so it looks like it is running all the way through. 
 
Cut a 6-1/4 inch x 4-1/4 inch piece of French Vanilla.  Distress the edges.  Ink the edges in Antique Linen. You may need to go around more than once to achieve the desired color.  Tip: I use the finger sponge daubers and have found that if I flick from the back to the front on inking it keeps those distressed edges standing up.
 
Adhere Photo to mat centering it. 
Adhere photo mat to circle - notice it is off center a bit.
Sorry the photo is crooked! :)


 


 


Woo Hoo! you have just complete the background for this page! Get up and move around...take a bow, pat yourself on the back...clap, whatever!!!
Let's Embellish!
This part always seems to take me the longest. I just start pulling out whatever I can think of that matches my papers and in this case shouts girl! So just start pulling your embellishments that will go with your papers. Isn't fun to use up your stash?
For this page I used: 2 Prima Tea Roses Santa Rosa, 2 Prima Belle Artes Prose, Silk Roses from Creative Moments that I got on clearance somewhere, 2 Recollections Mulberry Paper Roses in an Aqua color, 5 Micro Minis Mix Innocence Buttons by Dress It Up, 4 Pastel Mini Buttons by Favorite Findings. 1 Clear "Sweet" Embellishment Disc, 1 Peach Feather, 1 Pkg. (2pc) Recollections small Pearl Flourishes, 1 Pkg. Close To My Heart Pearls, DMC Embroidery Floss Color #3713 using 3 strands.

Referring to the sketch I created 2 clusters of 5 flowers/elements. Tip: When designing clusters use odd numbers for a pleasing effect. I learned this from a friend when I was doing floral arrangements.


 

 
 
 

 
Now begin adding your buttons in a scattered pattern. along each side of the photo. See above photo right.   Bear with me here....if you want to add the floss to your tiny buttons let me show an easy way to do it. 

 I take the embroidery floss and divide it down to 3 strands.  And of course thread it just like you would if you were going to tie it on top.








photo 2:

Taking a hold of the threads with your index finger and thumb with my opposite hand that aren't attached to the needle. Lay that little button on top of your finger.  Photo 3: Take the needle under the threads and pull.  Repeat.  Repeat this for all buttons.



 
 
 
 
Oh my do I need a manicure!!!!
 
To create the bottom accent corner I tore the paper slightly in and rolled it to one side....well if you actually look close I tore the whole piece out and glued it back in!    To create the butterfly I had a sheer five petal flower.  I took the top petal, added a glue dot to the top and folded in half, and turned back so it was in between the other four petals to form the body, and glue dotted it down..add a small pearl for the head...and there you have it a butterfly.  Attach this near the inside edge of your torn paper. 
 
 
Now take your flourishes.  Place 1 flourish under the bottom flower cluster, take your second flourish and cut it...creating a smaller flourish and longer one.  Place the smaller one at the top flower cluster and the longer one as a tail for the butterfly.
 
Add your title.  I used a 2" x 2-3/4" piece of chipboard that I covered with card stock, filing the edges of the card stock smooth and inking the edges with Tim Holtz Antique Linen Ink.  Adhering it with pop dots for an added dimension. For one last added touch I took the tiny pearls and added them to the center of the motif in that little border strip.
 
ta-da! A Page Complete!  I hope you had FUN!  Any questions...just ask.  Now go post your Layout at The Flying Unicorn...join in!
 
Hugs!
 
Becky


5 comments:

lois said...

Great tutorial Becky, Thanks so much! I also love all your heritage pages, WOW! More, more, we want more ;) (hope you will continue to post more pages )
Lynnndee

Sharon "Fritchey" said...

Oh Becky! I absolutely loved reading your tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!! Your page is so, so beautiful!!!!!

Toqua's Crafts said...

You are one talented lady!! I love looking at your creations!

Francine said...

Hi Becky. Great job with the tutorial, I learned several things! I love how you made the butterfly. You've inspired me to perhaps write a tutorial too, although how many people read my blog I'm not sure... Anyway, great job and I love the final layout too.

Imaginative Me said...

Great job Mama! I love how you add your personality into the tut to make it more fun to read! I always love reading your posts. Need to read more often... I've just been avoiding computer and trying to focus extra time into studying the Bible.
Great job anyhow! Love ya